Answers to some of your Yamaha Marine products questions
Both tachometers have a "trip meter" function that can be reset. Additionally, with the Command Link® Digital Tachometer, a “maintenance interval” function can be reset for ease of tracking your maintenance schedule.
Check your Owner’s Manual for more information about the use of your Yamaha Multifunction Tachometer gauge(s).
Choosing the right propeller is very important. There are different designs, sizes, and shapes to most effectively meet specific performance requirements. There is no one type or style of propeller that is perfect for all boating applications. Yamaha has several resources that can be used to help you choose the correct propeller for your boating requirements.
Performance Bulletins - Yamaha Outboard Performance Bulletins provide in-depth performance information on hundreds of boat packages with the best performing propeller.https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/owner-resources/all/performance-bulletins
Prop Selector – A step-by-step online tool that can help you determine the correct propeller for your application or needs.http://www.yamahapropselector.com/propSelector/web/
Yamaha Marine Rigging Catalog – Provide a complete description of the entire Yamaha and Turbo propeller line-up.https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/propellers/all/propeller-families
Additionally your local authorized Yamaha Marine dealer is an excellent resource to help you make the best selection.
Yes, but make sure the oil you choose is FC-W® rated for marine use. Yamalube 4M FC-W® Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Marine Motor Oil. It’s a Group IV fully synthetic oil that provides the best outboard lubrication and performance. Additionally it is FC-W® rated by the National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA®). Yamalube 4M synthetic contains all of the benefits of mineral oil-based Yamalube 4M, with increased lubricity for lower friction levels and potentially improved fuel economy. Specific marine additives help combat rust, corrosion, varnish, and wear; all while providing high levels of bearing protection, resistance to foaming, and lubrication.
Yamalube 4M FC-W® Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Marine Motor Oil is specified for all Yamaha V MAX SHO® outboards.
Your selling Yamaha dealership will register or transfer ownership of the Yamaha outboard(s) into your name.
New outboard motor warranty registrations must be completed by an authorized Yamaha dealership. Only a Yamaha dealer may perform the factory-specified Pre-delivery Inspection, which is a requirement for engine warranty registration. This inspection checks many important items, including that the engine(s) were rigged and are operating correctly. A Yamaha dealer is also in the best position to provide you with an explanation of operation and maintenance procedures.
If you purchase your Yamaha outboard(s) from a non-Yamaha dealership or from an individual, then contact your local Yamaha dealership for warranty registration or transfer of ownership. A Yamaha authorized dealership will need to evaluate the outboard(s) to verify that they are in normal running condition. There may be a charge for these services.
If you are having a problem with your registration or ownership transfer, or if you would like verification of warranty coverage, please contact the Yamaha Outboard Customer Support line at (866) 894-1626.
Cars are having issues but are somewhat more tolerant due to typical usage patterns and differences in their fuel systems. Major differences are:
- Modern automotive fuel systems (fuel filler, fuel tank, distribution lines and engine components) are closed or non-vented. Once the fuel is pumped into the tank, there is very little circulation of outside air (containing moisture) into the fuel system.
- Boats are operated and often stored in a very wet environment increasing the risk of water directly entering the fuel system.
- Boats have vented fuel systems which allow moisture laden air to circulate into the fuel tank as the fuel is drawn out of the tank and as the fuel expands and n wcontracts during heating and cooling cycles of the outside air.
- Automotive fuel tanks are typically much smaller than boat fuel tanks and are refilled more frequently. A full tank of fuel in a car or truck, typically 20 - 40 gals, may be used and refilled every week or two. Boat fuel tanks, typically 40 - 100+ gals per tank, may only be refilled once a month during the boating season and typically may sit unused for many months during the off season.
- Some boats use fiberglass fuel tanks. Polyester resins can be dissolved by ethanol.
To verify warranty coverage, including the expiration date, you need your outboard’s Primary Identification number (PID #). Click here for information on how to find your PID #. By providing this number, you can ask any Yamaha outboard dealer to verify your warranty through their online dealer systems. You can also contact Marine Customer Support at (866) 894-1626 for verbal confirmation.
If you want to know if a particular problem is covered by the limited warranty, an authorized Yamaha dealer will need to diagnose the cause of the problem. If your dealer determines that the problem is due to a covered defect in materials, parts, or workmanship from the factory as spelled out in your outboard’s limited warranty statement, then warranty coverage can be provided.
Individual outboard parts & accessories purchased for pleasure use come with a one (1) year warranty against defects in material or workmanship and ninety (90) days for commercial use, with the exception of outboard electrical components which are covered for thirty (30) days. Yamaha apparel comes with a ninety (90) day warranty period. Warranty coverage does not include any costs beyond the cost of repairing or replacing the new part. For example, labor for installation or troubleshooting will not be covered. In addition, maintenance or normal wear and tear will not be covered by warranty. All Genuine Yamaha parts and accessories must be purchased from an authorized Yamaha dealership for warranty coverage. A purchase receipt is necessary for coverage to verify your purchase date. For more information regarding the Yamaha Outboard Genuine Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty please view the full warranty statement below.Yamaha Outboards Genuine Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty Statement.pdf
The length of your limited warranty depends on model and type of use.
2.5hp – 350hp (F350 models A & B only) – 3-year limited warranty
XF425 & F350C – 5-year limited warranty
Commercial & Rental Use:
All four-stroke models – 1 year limited warranty.
Please check the Current Model List for all current models in the Yamaha line up.
- Tracks all essential outboard maintenance in one convenient place after dealer completed maintenance and allows boaters to enter their own DIY maintenance
- Provides notifications for upcoming maintenance and service campaigns
- Keeps a complete maintenance history which can enhance the value of their outboard when selling or trading in
- Allow boaters to record future or past boating trips and review important boating checklists
- Connects users to a Yamaha dealer locator where they can save a dealer to their profile
- Easily find owners’ manuals, an owner’s video library and other helpful information and resources
- Provides updates about new products, promotions and upcoming events